Monday, 13 October 2008

major update!

So I went on the CU weekend away and loved it :D until I twisted my knee and ankle whilst playing a silly game in the dark!
Foolish of me, I know, it was actually a really fun game but it ended badly...I tripped down a tiny step along the girls corridor and hurt myself. I pretty much cried solidly for the next hour or so coz I was in so much pain.

Sunday morning my ankle felt much better but my knee was still very painful and I couldn't put any weight on it, after a late night conversation with my parents (I woke them at about 1am I think- oops!) my dad came and got me on sunday morning...it meant that I missed the last talk and the group photo but there's no way I could've done the journey back in a packed car!

So anyways Dad and I stopped at Abingdon minor injuries on our way back to get it checked out. I was told it was either a ligament injury or a fracture- so I was given crutches and asked to come back the next day to have an x-ray (the x-ray machine wasn't open on sundays). So that's what I did today...with Mum in Derby and Dad in Farnborough, my Grandad came to the rescue and took me :) after a couple of x-rays and not too much waiting around I was told I haven't fractured it (yey!) so they took away my crutches (boo!) and told me to rest alot and do gentle movement around the house...definitely shouldn't be going to lectures....

Now taking away the crutches was a good thing because actually I don't have the upper body strength to use them really! but saying no lectures wasn't a good thing...I'm not your typical student, I love my course and after missing last tuesday's lectures due to illness, I really didn't want to miss tomorrow. I miss my friends and I want to catch up on what I missed. But I also understood that I shouldn't be walking too much on my knee...a little bit around the house but not too much. So we've managed to borrow a wheelchair from a friend and I'm going to lectures tomorrow! I'll be in the wheelchair so will still be resting my knee (like I was told) but will get to go to my lectures and my friends are going to wheel me around all day- lovely people that they are!

Now, I'm about to go to bed and was thinking about tomorrow and had a little knot in my stomach, like I get when I either don't want to do something or I'm nervous/stressed about something. I was trying to work out what and I think I worked it out...I don't want to attract too much attention. I don't need the wheelchair, I can walk- it just hurts, and I know that I'm going to end up explaining the whole story a million times tomorrow. I think I was worrying about people looking and wondering what's wrong but then I realised that I go to the School of Health and Social Care...people are so nice there! I don't think anyone would say anything bad actually. And I just need to work out how to tell people what happened in one or two sentences rather than worry about the whole story.
I guess I just want to go in and do my lectures without it being a bit deal but being in the wheelchair, whilst it being practical, is going to attract attention.

Plus I'm just really tired and everything seems worse when I'm tired. And in relevance to how I felt a few weeks ago...this is nothing! I'm so happy with uni and how things are going now, I just need to stop worrying about silly things!

So I'm off to bed, get some rest and hopefully tomorrow will be great :)

much love xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you're managing to hobble around okay... I felt so bad for you on Saturday night!! You were brave though. ; )
Thanks for informing me about applesauce and ginger - as you can see I'm slightly culturally illiterate! ~ Julia